Chat windows enable you can participate in real-time instant message conversations with one or more Contacts.
You can open a chat window by right-clicking a Contact and selecting ‘Chat’ or by opening the Group Chat module. You can also double-click a Contact, if you have configured your Preferences to open a chat window on a double-click. You can do this in the Preferences window.
7.1 Using Chat Windows
If you are using the Group Chat module, please refer to earlier section for details. For other chat windows, please use the instructions below:
- Start typing your message and it will appear at the bottom of the window. When you have
- finished typing your message, hit the ‘Enter’ key on your keyboard to send it.
- Your message will then appear near the top of the window in a speech bubble, along with your profile image, your name and the time you sent the message.
- When your Contact responds, their message will appear beneath yours along with their profile image, name and the time they sent the message. You can then type a reply to continue the conversation.
- At any time during a chat, you can drag additional Contacts into the Chat window to include them.
- When you have finished chatting, close the Chat window to end the chat.
7.2 Chat Window Icons
A row of icons appears at the very top of the Chat window. These enable you to perform additional functions:
- The ‘Emoticon’ icon enables you to add emoticons, such as a happy or sad face, to your messages. You can also add emoticons by typing a keyboard shortcut such as ‘:-)’.
- The ‘Font’ icon enables you to change the look of messages in the Chat window, by adjusting the font, the style or the colour. This does not change how your messages appear to your Contacts – it only changes how they appear in your Chat window.
- The ‘Colour’ icon enables you to change the look of messages in the Chat window by adjusting the colour scheme. This does not change how your messages appear to your Contacts – it only changes how they appear in your Chat window.
- The ‘Call’ icon enables you to call the person that you are having an instant message chat with.
- The ‘Video call’ icon enables you to place a video call to the person that you are having an instant message chat with.
- The ‘Chat history’ icon enables you to view details of all your previous chats, including full transcripts. You can browse chats by Contact, or search chat transcripts by keyword. You can also delete chats – either on an individual basis, or in bulk.
- The ‘Show Directory’ icon displays the Directory tab, so that you can drag additional Contacts into a chat.
7.3 Invoking Actions Against Another Contact
The image above shows the panel that appears as a result of a right mouse click against a Contact, and each event is Directed towards the target Contact. Items that are greyed out are either not available on this install (e.g. Monitor) or not ‘in context’ - e.g. if no incoming call is present on their number, ‘call pickup' is greyed out.
Most of the options are self-explanatory, but the following information may be useful:
- Pickup Call – if someone else's extension is ringing, the righthand bottom corner will show red. If you can see that they are not at their desk, you can click 'Pickup Call' and this will transfer the call to your extension, where you can answer it on behalf of the absent person.
- Ask for Attention – if you need to contact someone urgently when they are on a call, you can click 'Ask for Attention' and a pop up will appear on their screen, with an audio alert.
- Call Monitor – this option enables you to monitor a target extension, which means you can listen to a call they are having, intrude on the call, or 'whisper' to only party only. PLEASE NOTE: this function is subject to a call monitoring license and relevant permissions.
- Call On Available – if a Contact is on the phone and 'Call On Available' is set, CallSwitch Communicator will alert you at the end of that call and ask if you want to be connected.